Friday, February 18, 2011

Four candles in a cupcake

My daughter celebrated her 4th birthday last February 7. The picture above was her birthday cupcake. I wasn't able to buy her a birthday cake ---- no, let me rephrase that: I couldn't afford to buy her a birthday cake that day so ...... but she was happy that day, though. We went to church with her daddy  who, surprisingly, took a day off from work to celebrate with us. Then we went to jollibee to buy a 39'er food (that means a value meal worth P39!). Nearby was a red ribbon so I bought her the cheapest cupcake i could find and 4 small candles. She blew her birthday candles and played at Jollibee's play land. She played by herself until an English-speaking boy joined her. I had such a grand time listening to her talking to the boy in English! She wasn't making much sense but I was so proud of the effort she's exerting to communicate with her new playmate. I thought the boy's going to have a nosebleed! My daughter's English was really awful and out of this world. But what the heck, the two of them are having a nice time playing. After playing, we just strolled for about an hour and then went home.....

It was the  her simplest birthday ever. I couldn't complain because I know my daughter had a fun day too. I just wish I could have given her more. I wasn't even able to buy her a gift or a new dress or shoes. But then, again, as I told you when we went to the church that day, thank you for the privilege of having the company of a beautiful and smart daughter for four years. It wasn't the birthday i would have dreamed of giving her but thank you that we were able to celebrate it the best way we can. I look forward to the many more years that she will spend with me. Thank you for the candles and the cupcake.....

No comments:

Post a Comment