Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Power of Gratitude

It's the 9th day of the new year, 2011. I wonder how I could make things "different" this year. Somehow, 2010 managed to mark the worst and some of the most painful experiences in my life. There have been challenges that threatened my most precious relationships. There were special occasions that brought deep sadness instead of the usual happy celebration. And there were moments when I even doubted if things will ever be okay again....

I want to be okay. I need to be okay. I have read enough books, have heard many inspirational talks, that all it takes is to change the way we think. To believe with all my heart, with all conviction, that there is indeed a brighter and better future. I know it's easier said than done. After all, this is not the first time that I am making a "new start". There have been times in the past when I was also down, gotten up and made a promise to start anew. I don't want to say that I failed each time for I am still here where I started --- in fact, probably in a much deeper mess than I was before. That's why I keep asking what it would take to do things really different this time. Because I am determined to make it really work.....

Call it my last card. My make or break. This is it. This is the year that I will have to make the difference --- create it in fact. I will have to create that change now so I can be a better person. I realize it's not the years who have been unkind to me. It was me. It has always been me. And therefore, this year, the change will be in ME.

I take full responsibility for the things that happened in my life. And I am thankful for each and every experience that brought me to this day of realization. God is good and He has made me live up to this day for a very good reason. It may not be easy to understand but I trust that He knows what He's doing.

Each day, for the rest of the year, I will show gratitude for the many things that will happen during the day. This way I will keep my eyes, heart and mind open to even the smallest things that I should thank God for. This way, I will always remember God's kindness and love for me. And I will always feel in my heart that He is faithful, that He is never far away because He is always with me.

They say gratitude is a sure way of making a person happy. Because being grateful makes you realize that despite all of life's inconveniences, God never falls short of His promises to provide you with the necessary things that will get you through the day.

Today:

*I'm thankful that I didn't have to work so I am able to start this blog. My writing job finished early last night so I was able to sleep early and I didn't have to worry about working today.

*I'm so happy that I was able to go to church with my daughter. I'm so proud and happy to see her walk on her own at the offertory. She sang along with several songs at the mass. And she asked for my hand for blessings at the end of the mass.

*I'm glad I was able to bring my daughter  to a mall arcade where she played and enjoyed some rides. She kept saying "thank you mommy".

Thank you, Bro, for this wonderful Sunday. I decided to wear my wedding ring again today and hopefully I will never have to take it off again...... I love you and I love the family that you gave me here on earth. Help me become a better person. Help me restore broken relationships. Help me forgive myself..... Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment